Monday, February 3, 2014

The Perks of Having God Your God

Jeremiah 27:3 “Obey my voice, and I will be your God and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you."

Today, this message spoke to my heart. We are in the midst of a crisis. I feel like we’re about to hit the rock bottom and then this message came.

Contemplating our struggle and this verse, I asked the Lord these, “What command of Yours have we not walked in yet? Have we not obeyed you, Lord?” – Something to that effect. And then the help we’ve been waiting for came… Today.

Jeremiah 27:3 is a word of command and promise. But the number of promise exceeds the command:
Command
Promise
Obey His voice
God will be your God

You will be His people
             

Walk in all that He commands
It will be well with you

What resonate in my heart are the words “… and I will be Your God.” What does it mean when God said that? What are the benefits of making God your God? I have written below what it means to me.

1. If God is your God, then you have a 24/7 day access to Him. You can and may call on Him anytime and anywhere. There are no busy lines, no voice prompts to tell you, "Please try your call again later" and no secretaries to keep you on hold. It's simply God listening to you as you utter your prayers and petitions. Actually, there's one promise (and there are lots) of God regarding this. It's found in Jeremiah 33:3, "Call unto me and I will answer you." See that? He didn't promise that His angels or any other in heaven will be the one to respond to us. It's Him and no one else! What a privilege! What an assurance!

2. If God is your God, then you will be His people. What does this mean? For me, it's like this. You are working in a foreign land.  Then something really bad happens in that place or a war breaks out. The president of the Philippines will do everything in his power to make sure that you and other Filipinos are safe and protected. Why? Simply because you are part of "his people", his constituent and he is your president. Another example that I like is the story of the centurion who went to Jesus to ask for his servant's healing. The centurion might have thought that since the sick servant was his man and that he was his leader, he was then responsible for his man. So he went to Jesus for help. So, if God is your God, He will take care of you. He's got your back. He's got you covered.

3. If God is your God, then everything will be well with you. Now, it doesn't mean that you won't have any problems or challenges and it will just be a bed-of-roses kind of life. That's not what it means. I believe that as long as we live on this side of heaven, there will always be obstacles to be won and problems to be solved and overcome. What it means by "it will be well with you" is that even if there are difficulties in life, you will not be overcome by them but the other way around. Why? Because God is your God! You will be able to say to your problems, "I have a big God and He can knock you down." 

Just like what happened today. The challenge we're facing seemed so overwhelming, as if there will be no answer. Then God who is my God rescued us. He took care of the problem and saved us. 

I don't know what you're facing right now. It could be something bigger than you, you feel like it would eat you up. Or it could be as small as a pebble you can just kick it. Whatever situation you are in now, if God is your God, then He's got your back. :)

Note: This should have been posted last January 22, 2014.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment