Friday, August 25, 2017

Why I Believe My Breastfeeding Journey Was Successful

I'm back! Hahaha! It's been a while. For some reason, I couldn't find the words or topics to write.  Writer's block. Uninspired. Whatever. But I'm not happy with that. I miss writing. I miss this space. And what better way to come back than to write something about a topic that's so close and dear to me. Breastfeeding!

It's Breastfeeding Month again and I couldn't help but remember my first experience in breastfeeding. I have written about it here

When people ask me to share about my experience, I am glad enough to oblige. I believe that our little family's breastfeeding journey was a success and should be shared so others could be encouraged.

It was successful because of the following reasons:

1. We were informed (I must say though, it was not enough. See my second reason). 

Just like an engaged couple preparing for their wedding, my husband and I prepared for the coming of our baby. I searched high and low what was the best thing (in terms of milk) we could give our baby. Honestly, we looked for the best (and not to mention the most expensive) formula milk available in the grocery store. However, we found out that nothing beats the real thing, that is, the breastmilk. So, as soon as we knew the value of breastmilk and breastfeeding, my husband and I decided to simply breastfeed our baby even though at that time she was still in my womb.

2. We were determined.

My breastfeeding experience at firs was not a walk in the park. I didn't know that my nipples were inverted. And though we did our assignment, we forgot one single thing that would make breastfeeding a breeze. Proper latching. We didn't know how to do it. I relied on what an obstetrician told me, "It's a natural thing. Babies would naturally latch." But she was wrong. Due to improper latching (which we didn't know at that time), I had difficulty breastfeeding my daughter and she couldn't get the best from my breasts. I had sore breasts, my baby was already getting blood, and I was crying all the time, whenever I feed her. I was torn between wanting to nurse her and saving my body from pain and hurts. BUT I love her. My husband and I were determined to give her our very best.

3. We had support. I had support.

The number one support we had at that time, that we were so thankful for, was our paediatrician. She is a breastfeeding advocate. Our family encountered all the bumps in the road but our paediatrician had been our constant and consistent encouragement. When I doubted myself, if I would be able to breastfeed my daughter because of inverted nipples, she was there. When my baby's weight suddenly dropped from 8.4 kgs to 7.2 kgs, she was there. When my breasts were bleeding and so painful, she was there. She's really a blessing to us!

I had support. I have a super supportive husband. I will never forget our feeding time and how he showed his love. As I breastfed our baby, my husband would hold my hand and I would press it so hard. He told me to squeeze it and put the pain that I feel into his hand. Isn't that sweet? I would cry buckets. Afterwards, he would prepare a simple snack for me with a glass or two of water. As I ate my snacks, he would "burp" our baby.

My husband and I
My husband showed his love and support in more ways than one. And for that, I'm forever grateful. Since then, we know that breastfeeding is not just a mother's concern. It's an active love effort from husband and wife. :)

My husband during a breastfeeding class as he encourages other husbands to support their wives in breastfeeding their babies

4. We were shown and given grace.

I was able to breastfeed my daughter for 4 years and 8 months, a feat that would not have been achieved without God's grace. Everything was by His grace - the knowledge and information, the determination, the support - all of these, I would acknowledge, His grace that is ever-present and available for us.

With my sweetheart
My daughter "self-weaned" from breastfeeding. It was on Mother's Day 2016 when she told me she wanted me to be able to eat fish and dairy products. She has food allergy and that means whatever I eat would also affect her when I breastfeed her. So I avoided the food that would affect her. But on that day, a day that brought me both tears and smile, sadness and joy, she told me she would stop breastfeeding but she would surely miss it.

With my sweetheart
Any mom's breastfeeding journey could be successful. Fortunately for moms these days, there are a myriad of breastfeeding groups. Due to my desire to encourage my friends and relatives who are in the crossroad whether to breastfeed or not their little ones, I joined a breastfeeding group that "takes guesswork out of breastfeeding". We regularly hold breastfeeding classes to inform, encourage, and support families and communities. If you are a breastfeeding mom or on the family way and would like to know more about breastfeeding and how to be successful in your breastfeeding journey, please feel free to comment your concerns on the comment box. It would be a pleasure to help you! You may also visit and like our Facebook pages, LATCH Los Banos and LATCH Philippines for more information and events on breastfeeding. 

May your breastfeeding journey be a success too! 




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations for reaching 4 beautiful years with your little one. I hope I can reach 4 years with my son. Only one boob is still fighting the other one has no milk supply anymore. I hope God will give me more milk. Thanks for the advice mommy. Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! You're welcome! I believe you can do it as well, with determination and God's help. Thank you so much for visiting! Blessings and joy to you and your little one! <3

      Delete
  2. You very much deserve that spot in LATCH LB. Yes to support group and mom's dedication to breastfeed. Congratulations on your successful breastfeeding journey, Mommy Joy! May you help more and more mothers. Kisses to adorable Wynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you for the kind words, sis! Thank you also for visiting. Blessings and joy to your sweet family! <3

      Delete